Homestead Sundays offer a chance to connect with the past, natural resources and family. Whether you want to explore at your own pace or participate in a program, there's something for everyone! Each Sunday has a different theme. Mother Nature also has her own schedule, so check in weekly to see what seasonal activities are available.
Join a Historian:
- 2 pm Guided Tours - Join staff and volunteers on a 30-45 minute tour of the Homestead and School House property. All ages welcome.
Be your own guide:
- Discover and visit livestock - Pigs, sheep, cows and chickens call the Homestead Farm home in the summer. Please remember these are farm animals and not pets. Though they are cute and spunky, they can nibble fingers and sometimes don’t know their own strength.
- Explore historic buildings - How was life different in the late 1800s? Speak with volunteers about families that lived right here on CNC property, explore artifacts and tool sheds, watch rural living skill demonstrations and even attend a mini school lesson!
- Hands-on! Jump in the action with self-guided and volunteer led activities. Sort beans, dress a scarecrow, pump water, sweep the barn or cabin, wash clothes, strike up a band, grind herbs and spices or even work in the fields and gardens!
- Explore the Gardens - Visit the heirloom garden and walk amongst varieties of vegetables older than us all! Chat with a volunteer to learn about traditional uses and cultivation practices. Then head over to the children’s garden to explore how these practices have adapted over time. Roll up your sleeves - the children’s garden is full of hands-on opportunities!
Homestead Farm Animal Care & Feeding Sponsors
Friends of CNC
Todd & Cindy Armbruster
Richard & Patricia Humburg
Dr. Sandra J. Simmons